When I’m not writing for clients or for this blog, I read a lot of articles about how to improve your writing or your blog. Most of us writers began as avid readers, didn’t we? I still consider myself a learner, soaking up everything I can about our craft and how it’s best practiced in this fast-changing, new-media world.
When I find great articles, I tend to retweet them. And I recently realized that means I can easily create a fun post on the best articles for writers each month, by scanning back through my tweetstream.
Here’s the first edition — my 10 Best Articles for Writers for November. I will not be including any articles or blog posts I’ve written, either for this blog or elsewhere.
If folks enjoy this, I’ll do it as a regular feature, so please leave some feedback and let me know if you find this a useful post.
The Talmud teaches that it’s important to give full credit to sources, so I am mentioning both the author and the site where the post appeared, so you can see at a glance who was involved in creating these insightful articles.
Without further delay, here are my picks. They may not all have initially published this month, but I discovered them in November. They’re listed alphabetically by title, since I can’t possibly rank them. All great information.
- How to Fill a Hole in Your Schedule — the Query-Free Freelancer Way – by Jennifer Mattern, on All Freelance Writing.
- How to Plan a Successful Blog – A Step-by-Step Guide – by Annabel Candy on The Daily Brainstorm
- How to Remove Emotions From Your Writing Business – by Anne Wayman on About Freelance Writing
- How to Sprint to Your Blog’s Tipping Point – by Stanford Smith on Pushing Social
- 13 Tips for Beginning Bloggers (which I learned the hard way) by Gretchen Rubin on ProBlogger
- 10 Typical Questions From Writers (that are really just fear in disguise) – by Emma Newman on Write for Your Life
- 7 Ways to Improve Your Writing — Right Now – by James Chartrand on Copyblogger
- Top 5 Query Mistakes Freelancers Make – by Linda Formichelli on Renegade Writer
- Why People Should Stop Updating Their Blogs – by Jered Slusher, on Virgin Blogger Notes
- Why You Shouldn’t Write for Revenue Sharing Sites – by Carson Brackney, on FreelanceWritingJobs
Have I missed any great articles about writing or blogging this month? If so, feel free to leave us a link in the comments below. I’d like these posts to serve as great reference tools for learning about the craft and business of freelance writing.
Image via Flickr user sam_churchill