Blogging and making money seem to be on my mind this month, as I look at the best-of list below. It’s a tantalizing mix of some of my most-featured writers on these monthly lists, as well as a few tasty new voices from some places you may not be looking. Always nice to broaden our horizons.
Feel free to add to my list in the comments below with some more great posts you’ve seen this month. No fair listing your own, though.
- 6 Reasons Why I Can’t Tell You How Much to Charge by Anne Wayman on About Freelance Writing. This question is always coming up…and here, Anne explains why there is no one, universal, magical answer.
- 8 Ways to Increase the Joy of Writing by John Soares on Productive Writers. In case you’ve lost the magic, a nice step-by-step guide to ways to rediscover your love of the craft.
- The 13 Blogging Master Post Templates You Can Use, Part 9 – Resource Posts — by Michael Martine on Remarkablogger. If you haven’t been following Michael’s series on great post types that get the most traffic, comments, engagement and sales, start getting caught up. You can read back through the series from here.
- The Art of Keeping Your Audience Coming Back for More by Robert Bruce on Copyblogger. Robert is a master at bringing you great advice and perspective from outside the world of copywriting to use in your writing biz…this piece is a classic example.
- How I Got 3,000 Visitors From a Single Tweet by Gloson Teh on Gloson Blog. I’m setting a new youth-blogger record here on my best-ofs — Malaysia resident Gloson is 13. Thanks to Onibalusi Bamidele for introducing me to his very cool and inspiring blog. Now, fetch me my cane…
- How to Turn Bad Clients into Good Ones: Nonpaying Clients by Brice Lucas of Blue Fountain Media, on WM Freelance Writers Connection. Another good series-in-progress you might want to check out. We’d all like to whip those loser clients into shape, eh?
- The Most Overrated Piece of Blogging Advice I’ve Ever Heard by Ali Luke on Daily Blog Tips. I’ve been reading Ali for a while…she’s popping up everywhere lately with great posts. Check her out as well as Daniel Scocco’s blog, if you’re interested in blogging success.
- Never Sell Anything Again — and Watch Your Business Soar by Barry Moltz on American Express OPEN Forum. I met Barry at SOBCon, and he is a great source of business advice. I realize it’s news to many freelance writers that you have a business…but you do. So listen up.
- Think Twice About Writing for Revenue Share by Jenn Mattern on All Freelance Writing. This is another question I get all the time, “This revenue share site, should I write for it?” Jenn’s been there, and brings you this bracing bucket of ice water to the face on revshare’s realities.
- What Bloggers Can Learn from Porn Stars by Brandon Yanofsky on Problogger. Oh, Brandon, get your mind out of the gutter…right after you teach us something useful with this fun post.
Image via stock.xchng user yirsh