Writers should be able to find good-paying markets for their work. But I’ve found many writers have the creative wordplay down, but the business-marketing thing…not so much.
- Do you dream of turning your writing skills into a paying career?
- Been writing for a living but not earning much for all your hard work?
- Getting back into freelancing and need to freshen up your marketing skills?
- Would you like to make high five figures or more from your writing, but don’t know how?
I’ve heard a lot of stories like these. And they make me feel sad.
I created Freelance Writers Den to help writers find the answers and support they need to move up and earn more. But sometimes, it takes individualized attention and a customized plan for your situation. For that, I offer One-on-One Mentoring.
One-on-One Mentoring Program
- A 90-minute one-on-one initial coaching call
- Free copies of 2 ebooks Make a Living Writing: The 21st Century Guide (not currently for sale but a $36 value) and How to be a Well-Paid Freelance Blogger ($9.99)
- 3 months’ free membership in Freelance Writers Den (a $75 value)
- NEW! Participation in 4 quarterly group check-in/Q&A calls with all my mentees, for a full year of support, accountability and followup
Who is my mentoring program for (and not)?
This program is for:
- Writers who are fluent in written English and have some writing experience, even if it’s just writing your own blog.
- Early-stage writers who feel confident in their skills
- Freelancers returning after a hiatus
- Writers who have written as part of a job but need to learn the freelance ropes
- Writers who want to learn more about online markets
- Advanced-career writers who need to earn more
Note: I am now only accepting one-on-one mentees after they have been members of Freelance Writers Den for at least three months. Trust me, you should do this first. It will make our mentoring way more productive.
My mentoring isn’t a fit if:
- You have never written before and are just contemplating getting into freelance writing. I do not teach you to write from scratch, or critique your writing in any detail in this program. If you need a writing improvement program, check out Article Writing Masterclass.
- You are frozen in fear and unable to take action to move your career forward. If this is you, I recommend first seeing a therapist to resolve any underlying issues that keep you from executing on your writing goals. You’ll need self-confidence to pursue this career. When you’ve got that going on, I’m here to help.
Wondering what mentoring is like?
Listen to a Mentoring Call
Read Blog Posts from My Mentees
How Mentoring Works
My mentoring program begins with a 90-minute phone session, in which I learn about your writing career to date and your goals. Here’s what we cover:
- I review your online marketing tools (ie website/blog/LinkedIn profile) and discuss how to make them an effective magnet for attracting great-paying clients.
- Using my exclusive worksheet, I help you identify the best-paying target markets for you, based on your interests and experience.
- We discuss the best marketing methods for tapping into those markets.
- I provide tips and resources for executing on your marketing plan.
- We discuss your strengths and build your confidence for moving forward.
- Support continues in Freelance Writers Den, where you can post goals, find an accountability buddy, get queries reviewed, and access more trainings.
Out of this coaching session, you will develop a concrete marketing plan for how to grow your freelance writing income.
From there, we can stay in touch on Freelance Writers Den and on the live quarterly calls, forwarding ideas and leads and exchanging thoughts and encouragement as you execute your plan. You can also get accountability by posting your goals in the Den and updating them monthly.
What my mentoring students say:
“When I made the jump to freelance writing full-time, I had dozens of questions and gobs of concerns. Carol not only helped guide me in the right direction through her mentoring program, but she still provides ongoing support and encouragement that has directly resulted in my landing several high-paying writing opportunities. I’d recommend Carol’s services to anyone looking to jump-start their writing career.” — James Patterson, OnPoint Writing and Communications
What does it cost?
I charge $400 for my One-on-One Mentoring Program.
Availability is limited: I accept a maximum of 3 one-on-one mentees per month.
Why? I love mentoring and want to give each mentee my full attention. I also want to keep freelance writing myself, both because I enjoy writing, and to stay in touch with trends in the marketplace to help my mentees.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started with one-on-one mentoring.
Summer 2014 note: I am not accepting any new 1-on-1 mentees until fall 2014.
Here’s the story of how I started mentoring:
I began coaching friends informally years ago, just giving them tips and advice about how they could grow their income. I was amazed when some of my mentees soon were writing for better-paying national markets than I was! I love seeing others ignite their writing careers and become successful freelancers.
When you hire me as a mentor, you get a seasoned mentor who’s been helping writers one-on-one for five years, and a writer with more than a decade of freelance experience. I’m still actively freelancing, too, so my knowledge of markets and marketing methods is current.
More mentee raves:
“After Carol worked with me on my query-writing skills, I landed the best-paying gig I’ve had in my freelancing career. I sent Carol my query letter, and she told me where my query hit the mark, where it failed, and explained why. I revised it and sent it back to her — she made a couple more recommendations, which I followed, and then I sent it. Within a week, we were talking contract terms.”–Janet E. Clark
“I think Carol is amazing — not only does she know the business, but she truly GETS it, and her advice has already landed me more money in a single contract than I’ve ever secured on my own. I highly recommend Carol and her mentoring program. I appreciate what she did for me more than I can possibly express.”– Angie Atkinson
“Sitting down with Carol was just the spark I needed to take the next step in my free-lance career. She truly knows all the ins and outs of marketing yourself as a writer. I left our initial session feeling energized and finally excited about my career. We came up with an action plan and a realistic to-do list that took into account my previous experience and my future goals. I can’t say enough about how helpful this has been for me. And while Carol is a gifted writer and marketer, she also is a terrific cheerleader and helped me put a fresh perspective on my work; I feel very fortunate to have had this experience with her.”– Alayne P.
Contact me directly for details on how to join my one-on-one mentoring program.